Back pack on rest for a while
Well most of you who have been reading our blogs and facebook will know that we are in Australia and have found ourselves a 3 bedroom house in Adelaide suburbia sorry no swimming pool but we do have a small yard big enough for BBQ parties though we can’t afford a BBQ just yet after spending all our money on a house bond and rent and furnishing it!! Oh and a car so Martin doesn’t have to wait for buses after night shifts!! And after an expensive 7 month world trip yes the credit cards have been hammered!! Thankfully Martin has a good job that pays well every 2 weeks. I’m a kept woman!!! No job for me yet it takes awhile. As I’m not qualified to make sandwiches or coffee or responsible enough to poor pints!!! Very fun eh? Yes it seems every job needs a certificate which costs money! I have applied for some nutrition related jobs so fingers crossed there but will see how things go. Also I’ve applied for a job on the trains on a casual basis. I’m meeting with lots of people about dietetic volunteer work too – not that I don’t like having time to myself I hate being in debt and can’t stand doing nothing about it!! Time and patience eh?
Oh I almost forgot I had started to compile a list of things that started to irritate us while we whre travelling especially in New Zealand (yes it did make me realise it was time to have a break from backpacking!!).
So here goes a list of backpacker irritants (sorry if I offend anyone...);
• Playing with coins/keys/plastic bags late at night or early in the morning in dorm rooms
• Not being prepared for bed or early checkout if sharing a dorm!!
• Wheelie cases in particular outside rooms on wooden floors early in the morning and at busy airports
• Kids with dim parents who can’t control them in backpackers shared accommodation
• Walking poles in any situation (walking sticks are ok if needed for mobility but not the sporty ski pole kind used for fashion)
• Door slamming in particular at night
• People who speak in corridors late at night or early in the morning forgetting that there are perfectly good common areas away from our bedroom door!!
I think that’s it well I’m sure there must be more. Perhaps I’m getting too old for backpacking???
Anyway the backpacking is over for a bit well until we fly back to the UK in August via Singapore for 3 nights and Hong Kong for 3 nights – though we are NOT staying backpackers this time!!!!!!
Oh we’ve joined couch surfing check out the site we are on it but no couch available yet. We hope to afford an airbed soon for visitors though I’m sure if we have friends or family over for a onger time we can manage to get a proper bed!!!
This will be our last blog for a bit probably til August when we start up again for a short time.
Gina and Martin xx